For this week's Dear Wendi Wednesday, I am taking a break from the boys to address an important issue. As many of you have noticed from the week straight of 90+ degree temperatures we are in the dog days of summer. Personally, I could not be happier! I love the sunshine and heat. The thing I don't love is how it takes a toll on my couples, their family and bridal party on wedding day.
Wendi, do you have any tips for not only surviving, but thriving in the heat on wedding day?
- Drink LOTS of water
- Bring fans (hand held or battery operated) to cool yourself and others off
- If you drink, don't drink alcohol in excess - add a glass of water in between every alcoholic beverage
- Take breaks during pictures to go inside and cool off (if inside is not an option, look for shade to cool down in)
- Plan some time to relax - whether it's 45 mins instead of 30 before your ceremony, or not joining cocktail hour take some down time.
- Be flexible! This goes attire, seating of guests, location of pictures, etc.
- Let the men take off their jackets. They're dying in all those layers of wool or polyester blends.
- Keep a slight bend in your knees - Never locked them out. (This will help prevent people from passing out during the ceremony and pictures)
- Keep water near by for your flowers. They will look fresh all day long if you keep them in water when you can.
- Have your cake delivered later in the day, as close to reception time as possible. Never put it in the direct sun. (Cakes tipping over or leaning is not that uncommon on HOT days)
- If your cake does have a severe lean, cut it early. You don't have to serve it right away, but better to cut the cake out of order then not have one to cut.
- Live it up! Sunshine is far better than rain!
Have a suggestion? I'd love to hear about what you are doing to stay cool and comfortable this summer! Email me: email@example.com